While some folks love their Apple AirPods Pro with noise cancellation and other goodies, there’s a dedicated following for Apple’s other set of headphones with similar features–the Powerbeats Pro. Unfortunately, quite a few of our readers experience random connection and charging problems. But we have some tips to get your Powerbeats Pro working!
- Siri not announcing your messages on your AirPods or Beats? How to fix
- Shared Listening not working for your AirPods or Beats? Here’s how to fix it
- AirPods Not Working? Troubleshoot your problems
Today, we’re going to take a look at what you need to do when you encounter Powerbeats Pro connection problems.
- Powerbeats Pro Connection Problems
- Sound in one ear only?
- Check and clean your Powerbeats Pro earbuds and their charging connections
- Put Powerbeats Pro into “Pairing Mode”
- In order to do so from your Mac or Android device, follow these steps:
- Here’s how you can connect the Powerbeats Pro to an iPhone or iPad:
- Reset your Powerbeats Pro
- Update the firmware
- Use Beats Updater
- For Macs only: resettheBluetooth module
- Powerbeats Pro LED indicator light flashing red or white?
- Flashing white?
- Are your powerbeats flashing red?
- Flashing both red and white?
- Reach out to Apple
- Reader tips
Powerbeats Pro Connection Problems
There are users all over Reddit, the Apple Support Forums, and other places experiencing connection issues with the Powerbeats Pro.
This is extremely frustrating for two reasons; the first is that as a relatively new product, Apple should have squashed these bugs before release.
The second reason is due to the price tag, as the Powerbeats Pro comes in at a higher price tag than the popular AirPods 2 with Wireless Charging case ($249 vs $199).
Luckily, since other users have experienced similar issues, that means that fixes or workarounds have been discovered to overcome these problems.
We’re here to break these down so that you don’t have to make another trip to the Apple Store or retailer that you bought them from.
Sound in one ear only?
Check if both sides are charging. This problem often occurs the contacts are not properly seated inside the case.
It’s also a good idea to clean the charging area on both the earpods and inside the case, just in case some dirt or debris is causing them not to make good contact.
Check and clean your Powerbeats Pro earbuds and their charging connections
- Take a microfiber cloth and clean both the earbuds and case. Completely dry them before placing them back in the case
- Make sure you seat the earbuds properly in the case so they make contact with the charging connection
- If that doesn’t help, hold the reset button while the earbuds are in the case
For continuing and repeat issues, contact Apple Support for inspection and possible replacement
Put Powerbeats Pro into “Pairing Mode”
The first trick that you will want to attempt is to put the Powerbeats Pro in “Pairing Mode”. This will force your headphones to forget previous devices and essentially “start from scratch”.
- Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on for the device you want to pair to
- Place the Powerbeats Pro earbuds inside the case, but leave the case lid open
- Press and hold the System Button until the LED on the front blinks
This puts the Powerbeats Pro into pairing mode, allowing you to attempt to re-pair the headphones.
In order to do so from your Mac or Android device, follow these steps:
- Open theSettings app
- Find your Powerbeats Pro and tap on them
As for the iPhone, you get the pleasure of the H1 chip which offers a much better pairing process.
Here’s how you can connect the Powerbeats Pro to an iPhone or iPad:
- Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on for the device you want to pair to
- Place the Powerbeats Pro earbuds inside the case, but leave the case lid open
- With the lid open, hold the Powerbeats Pro case within 2-inches of your unlocked iPhone
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Once you have followed the prompts, your Powerbeats will then again be paired to your iPhone or iPad. This is just one way to help get any bugs to work themselves out.
Reset your Powerbeats Pro
The next step you want to do is to reset your Powerbeats Pro all together if you continue running into issues. As with many other devices, the process is pretty simple so that you can try and get your headphones working again.
- Unpair your PowerBeats Pro from their current device:
- Go to Settings > Bluetooth.
- Tap the ‘i’ button next to your PowerBeats Pro.
- Choose ‘Forget This Device’ then tap Confirm.
- Return your PowerBeats Pro to the case and leave the lid open.
- Press and hold the System button in the case.
- Release the button after 15 seconds or when the light flashes red and white.
- Now pair your PowerBeats Pro with your device again.
After your Powerbeats Pro has been reset, you will need to go through the pairing process again. Those steps can be found above for Android, Mac, or iOS devices and are also pretty straight forward.
Update the firmware
If you have already tried to re-pair and reset your Powerbeats Pro, the next step is to check the firmware they are running. There are two ways to do this, one of which requires a computer, and the other requires just your phone.
Getting the easier one out of the way first, you can check the firmware version of your Powerbeats Pro from the Settings app. Here is how you to do it:
- Make sure your Powerbeats Pro are paired to your iPhone
- Open theSettingsapp
- Scroll down and tap on [Your Name] Powerbeats Pro
From here, you are able to view the following bits:
- Manufacturer: Apple
- Model Number
- Serial Number
- Firmware Version
- Hardware Version
When using your iPhone, you can’t manually force an update to arrive and download. Instead, these updates primarily happen when iOS updates arrive and the next time that you pair the Powerbeats to your iPhone, the latest firmware update will automatically install.
Use Beats Updater
Thankfully, Apple provides another tool for Powerbeats Pro owners, as long as you have a Mac or Windows computer to use. The reason for this is that it requires you to download theBeats Updater application.
- From your computer, head to the Beats Updater webpage
- You are asked to download and install the package
- Once downloaded, openBeats Updater
- Plug-in your Powerbeats Pro charging case with a Lightning cable
Oddly enough, the Beats Updater works through your default web browser, so you will be greeted with a new page to check out. From this page, you can do the following:
- Change the name of your Powerbeats Pro
- Check the battery level
- Register your headphones
- View the latest software version
If there is a software or firmware version available, then you will be able to download and update from here. This is more helpful for Android or computer users, as there is no iOS device to use to automatically update the firmware.
For Macs only: resettheBluetooth module
- Open System Preferences > Bluetooth and tick the box for Show Bluetooth in Menu Bar
- Press both the Shift and Option keys and clickthe Bluetooth symbolin your Mac’s topmenu bar
- Scroll down to the Debug submenu
- Click Reset the Bluetooth module
- Restart your Mac
- Test your PowerBeats Pro
Powerbeats Pro LED indicator light flashing red or white?
If your Powerbeats Pro LED indicator light flashes white, they are in pairing mode. Trypairing your Powerbeats Pro with your iPhone, Mac, Android device, or another device again.
Are your powerbeats flashing red?
When your Powerbeats’ case battery is less than 40% charged, the LED turns red. Charge up your case and the LED should stop flashing.Connect your case via its Lightning cable–you can also charge the case with or without the earbuds inside.
If the LED continuously blinks red, you may need toreset your earphones.
Flashing both red and white?
If your Powerbeats Pro LED indicator is continuously blinking red AND white, it’s not charging. Try cleaning the charging areas on both the case and the pods and see if that makes a difference.
- Ensure the Powerbeats earphones and its case are completely dry before trying to charge
- Check that you properly seated the earbuds in the case
- Use a wall outlet, another power source, or try a different charging cable
If that doesn’t help, download the firmware updater and re-pair your Powerbeats with your device.
Reach out to Apple
The final option that you have is to either take it to the retailer where it was purchased or to reach out to Apple support. The former isn’t a great option, especially if this was a gift or your Apple store is far away. But it may be the best bet in order to swap your Powerbeats Pro headphones.
If your beats pro are relatively new (within one year from the date of original retail purchase), contacting Apple Support is a good idea–if they can replicate the problem, they may replace them at no cost.
Even if you don’t have an Apple store near you, the company offers a couple of different ways to reach out for assistance.
You must head over to the Get Support page and choose Beats by Dre. From here, you need to pick whatever topic best describes the issues you are having, in the case, it would beWireless Connectivity.
Then, schedule a call, begin a chat session, or make a reservation to drop your Powerbeats Pro off for repair.
We don’t recommend reaching out to Apple or your retailer until all the other options are exhausted. But, in the event that you need to replace your Powerbeats Pro.
If you continue to run into Powerbeats Pro connection problems, sound off in the comments and we’ll do our best to assist. In the meantime, let us know what you think about these headphones and if they have replaced your AirPods, or are you waiting for AirPods Pro to release?
- Jason recommends following this process: unpair, turn off Bluetooth, and place them back in the charging case. Once in the case, connect it to your computer and wait for 3-5 mins. Then pair them again to your iPhone/iPad/iPod and test if they now work properly. Jason ran through these steps with his Powerbeats Pro and since then, they work without any further connection issues (and it’s been weeks)
- AirPods Pro---The Complete Guide
- iOS 13 or iPadOS problems and how to fix them -…
- iMessage not working iOS 13 or iPadOS? Fix it today
- Shared Listening not working for your AirPods or Beats?…
- Fix - Siri Not Announcing Messages on Airpods or Beats
- Can't Turn Off Siri in iOS or iPadOS? It's Easier Than You…
- AirPods Max Review: How They Look Six Months Later
- iMessage Not Working iOS 12? Fix Message App Problems
- How To Fix Messages and iMessage Problems in iOS 11
What to do if your Powerbeats Pro won't connect? ›
Hold down both the power button and the volume down button for 10 seconds. When the LED indicator light flashes, release the buttons. Your earphones are now reset and ready to be set up with your devices again.Why do my Powerbeats Pro keep connecting and disconnecting? ›
Update your PowerBeats Pro
The first step you should take is to check if your device is up to date meaning they have the latest firmware. As you may know, you can pair your Beats with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. If you pair them with your iOS or iPadOS device, then you do not need to update your PowerBeats Pro.
Drain Powerbeats Pro's Battery
Some users of Powerbeats Pro have reported that completely draining the battery can fix faulty audio. You will need to drain the charge of both the earbuds and the charging case, then recharge them. This will essentially do the same as turning the Powerbeats off and on again.
Check the sound settings
On your iOS device, go to Settings > Bluetooth and select your Beats. On your Mac, choose Apple ( ) menu > System Preferences, click Sound, then select your Beats product in the Output and Input panes. On your PC, go to the sound settings and select your Beats as the playback/recording device.
There's no standard way to upgrade the Beats software, but firmware is generally installed over-the-air while the earbuds are connected to an iOS device.How do I stop my Powerbeats pro from disconnecting? ›
Hold down both the power button and the volume down button for 10 seconds. When the LED indicator light flashes, release the buttons. Your earphones are now reset and ready to be set up with your devices again.How do I stop my Beats from disconnecting? ›
- Tap Settings > Bluetooth.
- Find the device that you want to unpair and tap the Info button .
- Tap Forget This Device.
- Restart your iPhone.
Basically, if your ears are bigger than the standard size, it will fall out because the earbuds won't have anything to clutch on to. On the other hand, if the person's ear size is smaller than usual, the earbuds won't be able to go deep enough and will most likely pop out.How do I get my Beats to work again? ›
- Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds.
- Release the power button.
- All of the Fuel Gauge LEDs blink white, then one LED blinks red. This sequence happens three times. When the lights stop flashing, your headphones are reset.
Each earbud has up to 9 hours of listening time, so you can keep your music going. With the charging case, you'll get more than 24 hours of combined playback.
Why dont both my Beats pro connect? ›
Forget and Reconnect Powerbeats Pro
Sometimes established Bluetooth connections encounter problems leading to connectivity issues or no audio output. To fix it, simply forget and reconnect your Powerbeats Pro to your device.
A red light indicates that the battery life is low. If you're unable to resolve this by simply charging your Beats, you'll want to try resetting them. Cheers!How do I check my Powerbeats Pro firmware? ›
Within the Beats app, you can see your Beats device's serial number and firmware version. In the Beats app for Android, display the screen for your connected device, then scroll to display the “Under the hood” information.What is the latest Powerbeats Pro firmware version? ›
Powerbeats Pro, once updated, will be running firmware version 5B55. The Beats Studio Buds, on the other hand, will now be running firmware version 10M2155. You can't update firmware versions manually, but you can leave them near your iPhone and the update will likely happen without you realizing it.How do I update my Beats hardware? ›
If you have an Android device, download the Beats app for Android from the Google Play Store to update your firmware.Are Powerbeats pro discontinued? ›
The Powerbeats, Solo Pro and Beats EP have all been discontinued, to spend some time in the headphone retirement home. The retail pages of all of these have been taken down from the Apple Store.How do you fix Bluetooth on Beats? ›
- Click the System Preferences icon.
- Click the Bluetooth icon.
- Ensure that Bluetooth status reads Bluetooth: On. ...
- Locate the device you wish to pair in the list and click Pair.
- Once connected, the device will display Connected within the device list.
There's Interference with the Bluetooth Signal
To fix Bluetooth signal interference, you can try turning off the device you're trying to connect your headphones to and then turning it back on again. This might help get rid of any interference that's causing your signal to cut out.
Issues may occur if there are walls, people, metal, or other objects that interrupt Bluetooth waves between the speaker and your smartphone or tablet. Issues may occur if you are operating apps or accessing the settings screen on your smartphone or tablet. Stop Bluetooth playback when performing these operations.Do Beats wear out? ›
While beats headphones tend to be extremely comfortable, that comfort comes with a price. The original Beats Studio and Solo ear pads were not made to last. Look, no matter what you do, your beats ear pads will eventually fail.
How long do Beats headphones last? ›
Overview. With up to 40 hours of battery life, Beats Solo3 Wireless is your perfect everyday headphone. With Fast Fuel, a 5-minute charge gives you 3 hours of playback. Enjoy award-winning Beats sound with Class 1 Bluetooth wireless listening freedom.Do Beats headphones wear out? ›
Do Beats wear out? While beats headphones tend to be extremely comfortable, that comfort comes with a price. The original Beats Studio and Solo ear pads were not made to last. Look, no matter what you do, your beats ear pads will eventually fail.Why won t my Beats connect? ›
Ensure your phone uses Android 6.0 or higher, as other versions won't be compatible. Make sure your phone has Bluetooth and Location turned on. This can be done by swiping down from the top of the screen and tapping on the Bluetooth and Location logos. Ensure the buds are located near the phone with the case lid open.How do I know if my beats headphones are blown? ›
- Are Your Headphones Broken?
- You hear rattling noises and/or distorted sound.
- You don't hear any sound on your Bluetooth headphones.
- There's a delay when you use your Bluetooth headphones.
- You hear static in wireless headphones.
- Only one side or ear is working.
- Your headphone jack or plug is bent.
No, you can't overcharge your wireless earbuds. Once they're fully charged, the charging case will stop supplying power to the earbuds.Can I wear my Powerbeats Pro in the shower? ›
Here's how to prevent damage to your Beats wireless earphones due to contact with liquid: Don't swim or bathe with your Beats wireless earphones. Don't expose your Beats wireless earphones to pressurized water or high velocity water, such as when showering, water skiing, wake boarding, surfing, or jet skiing.Are Powerbeats Pro better than AirPods? ›
Our Verdict. The Beats Powerbeats Pro Truly Wireless have better sound reproduction than the Apple AirPods Pro Truly Wireless. The Beats also have a better control scheme, great battery life, and a more sports-friendly ear-hook design.Why is one side of my wireless Beats not working? ›
A simple fix for the issue is to launch your audio settings panel on your device and ensure all the settings are correct. If they are not, change them and make sure your Beats headphones are chosen as the output audio player.How do you get Powerbeats Pro to play in both ears? ›
Share a Call With a Friend Using One Pair of Powerbeats Pro
To do so, open the Settings app on your connected iOS device and tap Bluetooth, then tap the circled 'i' icon alongside Powerbeats Pro in the Devices List. Then tap Microphone and choose either the left or right earpiece.
Pair your Powerbeats Pro
Place the Powerbeats Pro earbuds in the case. With the lid open, hold the Powerbeats Pro within 2 inches of your unlocked iOS device. Follow the instructions that appear on your iOS device. If you don't see any instructions, follow the steps to connect to another device.
Why do my Beats have a solid red light? ›
1 solid red light signals low charge. 1 flashing red light signals battery is near depletion. No lights signal headphone is powered off or battery is not charging.What color should Powerbeats be when charging? ›
Plug your Powerbeats2 Wireless earphones into a power source using the included USB cable. When they're plugged in, the indicator light shows their charging status: Red: Charging. White: Fully charged.Why are my beats pro not connecting? ›
Check the sound settings
On your iOS device, go to Settings > Bluetooth and select your Beats. On your Mac, choose Apple () menu > System Preferences, click Sound, then select your Beats product in the Output and Input panes. On your PC, go to the sound settings and select your Beats as the playback/recording device.
Press and hold the system button until the LED blinks. Open the Bluetooth menu on your Mac, Android device, or other device. For example, on your Mac, choose Apple () menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth. In the list of discovered Bluetooth devices, tap or click your earphones.How do I reset my Beats without the power button? ›
Reset Solo Wireless
Hold the multifunction and volume down buttons for eight seconds.
Android + Other
If your Powerbeats Pro are already paired to a device or you want to pair to any other device, press and hold the system button inside the case for a few seconds until the status light flashes white while both earphones are inside with the lid open.
Press the power button for 5 seconds. When the indicator light flashes, your earphones are discoverable. Go to Bluetooth settings on your device. Select your earphones from the list of discovered Bluetooth devices.Is there an app for Powerbeats Pro? ›
The Beats app makes it easy to manage your Beats headphones, earphones, and Pill+ speakers from your Android phone, letting you: Quickly add different Beats headphones, earphones, or Pill+ speakers to the Beats app.Why are my Beats not connecting to Bluetooth? ›
Ensure your phone uses Android 6.0 or higher, as other versions won't be compatible. Make sure your phone has Bluetooth and Location turned on. This can be done by swiping down from the top of the screen and tapping on the Bluetooth and Location logos. Ensure the buds are located near the phone with the case lid open.